10 July 2008

Imaginary Urban Homesteading

I have been remiss. I haven't posted anything for nearly nine days. As justification, I can say that in that time I have rescheduled my jury duty, cleaned my backyard, painted my back door, and worked a full schedule of hours. I haven't had time!

Yet another reason to homestead: I want to get away from Homeowners Associations and Condominium Associations. Every time they send me a list of "repairs" I need to perform to my house, the "simple" tasks grow and blossom like the Audrey II of "Little Shop of Horrors".

In 2005, for example, the task was, "Paint the rear bandboard" (a 12" plank separating the upper and lower siding). First, I had to wash it, so I wouldn't be painting dirt. That was when I found the soft spot in the corner. "I'll just cut that out and nail in a new piece," I said, and action followed words. But there was nothing to which to nail. Termites had eaten away the stud.

To get 3 estimates was a matter of 3 MONTHS; then the work could not begin for 2 more months. I had to replace all the siding, remediate the termite damage, and replace the glass door and windows on the back of the house--$15,000 dollars--before the job was finished. The loan will be paid off next month.

This time, I am painting and scraping, washing and raking...and trying to convince myself that I'm enjoying it, that I'm creating my homestead. It really does help.

No comments: